Wednesday, September 22, 2010

I'm a crappy housewife!

I think I may possibly be one of the worst housewives ever! I love my children and my husband. They make up a big part of my world. But I SUCK at the role of housewife!

So you're probably wondering why I have come to this conclusion. Well, I really truelly don't think I actually "suck" at being a housewife in my mind. But I definitely fall short of what a lot of people think a good housewife should be. I hate cleaning! I will do it, but not as often as should. I'm usually just proud of myself if everyday the kitchen is clean and the living room gets picked up. I used to enjoy cooking and baking, but I'm still adjusting to my kids recent need for a gluten-free diet. It has taken a bit of the joy out of cooking for me because I am unable to make a lot of my favorites (and sometimes when I do try to make certain favorites gluten-free, they come out horrible). I wait to do laundry until the last possible moment (hubby or kids are out of clothes) and I very rarely ever get to stage of actually folding and putting away clean clothes. The dining table is always cluttered and we usually all eat the living room. I consider myself to be very productive if the bathroom is cleaned once a week. I never dust (unless I'm moving something and notice the incredible amount of dust around that object). I don't vaccuum nearly as often as I should.

Now you're probably wondering what it is I do all day. The kids get fed at every mealtime (one way or another, lol). Most days I get some schooling done with Mickey. I watch a little boy 4 days a week (he is 2). I help Amee with homework. I workout for at least 45 minutes at home, sometimes 90 minutes and I try to get to the gym for 1-2 hours 4-5 days a week. Some days I have an extremely cranky Mickey on my hands, making every single little thing seem like an epic battle just to get it accomplished. It's not her fault. She deals with a chronic condition that can cause stomach pain, neck pain, headaches, insomnia, exhaustion and low grade fevers. It's even more difficult because after 2 years of doctors appointments, they still can't give us a straight answer about what's wrong with her. And I try to get in a little me time during the day (usually spent catching up with friends online or reading).

As you can see, I'm not really a "bad" housewife. My day is pretty full. But sometimes I feel like I'm failing at this "title". I know so many other moms that seem to get so much more done everyday. Their house is always clean, meals are homemade 99% of the time, kids are involved in several extra-curricular activities, they are involved with the PTA and helping in the classroom, etc. It just makes me feel like I lagging behind.

But it helps that I have a very supportive and understanding husband and happy children, especially since being a HW/SAHM is not something I actually wanted. I was sort of pushed into this role by uncontrolable circumstances. For awhile, I even resented it and that made me feel even worse. But Mickey just cannot handle public school. She gets horribly sick very easily, plus she has a very severe gluten intolerance and has her bad days when she hurts and has a fever. If she was in school, she would end up missing half of it anyway. This prevents me from having a job and means I stay home to take care of her. It took awhile to get used to this life. I just didn't feel like I was able to just be me, since this is never the life I pictured for myself. But over time I have adjusted and learned to at least like it a little ;).

Now if I could just figure out a way to keep the house clean LOL.

2 comments:

  1. There's a saying I've heard "cleaning your house while raising children is like shoveling the walk while it's still snowing". I keep my bathroom clean for company and my living room 15 minutes from picked up...the rest can be handled by shut doors! Flylady.net has some good cleaning tips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup. I would rather have a somewhat messy house and be happy, then a sparkling clean house and be miserable :).

    ReplyDelete